Pay Rate: Hourly $13.75/hr
40+M-F 8am-5pm, some Saturdays and evenings
Under direction from the Director of Workforce Development, Learn Invest Focus and Train (LIFT) Instructors provide reading, writing, math, life skills, job readiness and/or vocational instruction to students 16 and older not enrolled in school. LIFT Instructors increase educational and employment skills to individuals in the community including vulnerable learners. This position is grant funded. Continuation of position is contingent upon the availability of grant funds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: to perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition to the requirements listed below, regular attendance in the workplace is an essential function of this position.
1. Regular attendance at Employer’s place of business and/or during particular hours, as assigned, is an essential function of this position. Employee must comply with and follow YWCA’s attendance policy at all times, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted, as required by law.
2. Teaches basic math GED prep, or language arts GED prep, or job readiness, or Life Skills, and/or Customer Service to adults who are functioning below 12th grade level.
3. Develops creative and relevant lesson plans, presentations, and activities that develop students’ physical, emotional, and social growth using YWCA curriculum.
4. Creates conducive environment for all learning modalities.
5. Conducts ongoing formal and informal assessments of knowledge and comprehension.
6. Keeps classrooms, materials and equipment secure.
7. Participates in the student intake process as needed.
8. Tracks and documents learner progress using data collection tools, recordkeeping systems, and assessment instruments designed and/or approved by the YWCA.
9. Records daily attendance and progress reports.
10. Reports student gains, program activities and retention concerns to Workforce Development Director.
11. Communicates with students and volunteers about scheduling assessments and other necessary meetings associated with LIFT.
12. Provides guidance and support to volunteers and/or interns within the classroom.
13. Facilitates multiple LIFT classes and participates in additional sessions as needed to evaluate student and program progress.
14. Complete administrative duties outside of the classroom to include updating curriculum, creating and maintaining student files, assistance with outreach, presentations to market the program, and other necessary duties as needed.
Associates’ degree in Education, Business, or related field. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred.
Four (4) years’ experience in related field or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skill.
1. Good MS Office computer skills.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiating skills required.
3. Experience working with adult learners.
4. Able to work on-call.
5. Able to work with low-income, multi-ethnic, and/or justice involved clientele.
6. Ability to be objective but caring when dealing with problems of others.
7. Ability to work well with people and inspire confidence and trust.
8. Ability to perform general mathematical calculations accurately.
9. Ability to handle multiple tasks and interruptions.
10. Ability to work under pressure.
11. Ability to work independently and autonomously.
12. Bilingual capabilities in English/Spanish preferred