El Paso del Norte Region

CCR&R Child Care Options

Types of Child Care

Licensed Family Child Care Home:
Care is provided in the caregiver’s home for less than 24 hours per day. The number of children allowed is 7 to 12 children under the age of 14. No more than 12 children can be in care at any time, including children of the caregiver.Licensed child care homes are inspected by the Texas Department of Family Protective Services (TDFPS) at least once every 12 months and to investigate reports of alleging violations of standards or child abuse/ neglect.

Center Based Child Care
Licensed Child Care Center:
A licensed child care center is a facility which provides care for 7 or more children under age 14 for less than 24 hours. Child care centers are inspected by TDFPS at least once every 12 months and to investigate reports of alleging     violations of standards or child abuse/ neglect.

Early Head Start/ Head Start
Head Start and Early Head Start are comprehensive child development programs that serve children from birth to 5 years of age. The programs are child-focused and have the overall goal of increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families. Region 19 Education Services serves the  El Paso and Hudspeth counties. 
For more information contact ESC 19 at 915-790-4600 or visit their website at www.esc19hs.net.
Out of School Options
 After School
A regulated program designed to provide care for children ages 6-12 years old in the hours immediately following school classes. Some after school programs are offered at the school site and most registered/ licensed family child care homes and licensed child care centers offer after school care.

Summer Camp
A regulated summer camp provides care and activities for children ages 6-12   years old during the summer months. Non-profit organizations, local city parks and recreation programs and licensed child care centers offer summer camp options. 

If you should have a complaint on a child care provider our referral specialist will provide advice on further action you should take, if appropriate. You should  report licensing violations to the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services at 915-834-5739, and ask for a Child Care Licensing intake worker.Identify yourself as someone wishing to list a complaint or allegation against a provider.

Texas law requires all citizens to report suspected child abuse to the proper authority. When abuse is suspected, you must call the Texas Department of  Protective and Regulatory Services:1-800-252-5400.
Child Care Licensing monitors all regulated child care centers and homes. Before placing your child in a child care center or home, check their website www.dfps.state.tx.us for monitor results of your selected day care site.