The Young Women’s Christian Associationbegan in London, England in1855. Later, the movement spread to the United States and grew rapidly. TheYWCA of El Pasoreceived its charter in 1909.
1909 Employment Bureau and Lunch Room started for working women.
1910 52-bed residence for young women opened on East Missouri Street. Gymnasium opened and health education classes were formed.
1912 Traveler’s Aid organized and Director hired.
1914 Room for rest and sleep added to the cafeteria for business women.
1916 Business and Professional Women’s Club started. Property purchased at 315 E. Franklin for new facilities.
1918 Central Building constructed and dedicated. Girls Reserves organized.
1919 Hospitality House organized by national board to care for Mexican Immigrants coming to the U.S. to ease the shortage of labor due to war.
1920 Hospitality House becomes International Institute and supported by the YWCA of El Paso. Athletic League for women organized.
1921 World Fellowship Committee established.
1925 Catholic Church assumed administration of International Institute.
1934 Relief School (the only one in Texas) directed by the YWCA and financed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
1963 The “Report of United Fund Committee on Youth Service Expansion” recommeded that “the YWCA progressively ask more professionally trained workers to meet the needs of outlying areas.”
1964 Teen Program became priority and expanded to two full-time directors.
1970 National Convention in Houston adopted “One Imperative…..to Eliminate Racism.” El Paso YWCA began review of total programs and services.
1972 Contracted to administer the 4C’s (Community Coordinated Child Care). Expanded in-building day care and contracted with the Housing Authority to provide day care to low-income housing complexes.
1973 YWCA residence for girls closed. Community Childcare became an independent incorporated agency. Staff grew from 27 to 200.
1975 Day care expanded to 13 centers. The YWCA program for incarcerated women in the city-county jail was funded. Staff grew to over 300.
1977 The East Branch Council was established and Phase 1 of the building opened. Capital Campaign Drive slated by United Way for 1979-1980
1979 Conducted the first “Women in Business” lunch (now REACH)
1981 The Eastside facility was completed and dedicated as the Shirley Leavell Branch. Membership increased to 7,998 members.
1985 Land was donated by Paul and Katherine Harvey Trust for a Westside facility named in honor of Katharine White Harvey. Began countywide program for parenting and pregnant teens, Project Redirection. Began a pilot program to help reduce the drop-out rate among Hispanic girls.
1986 Began Phase II of the Capital Campaign Drive with a goal of $3 million. Conducted community needs study which resulted in the long range Corporate Plan for 1987-92.
1987 Begin construction on Northeast Branch and Westside Branch. Purchased R.E. McKee Building at 1918 Texas for administrative offices.
1988-1989 Completed and dedicated the expanded Myrna Deckert Branch and the new Katharine White Harvey Branch. Dedicated the administrative offices as theSarah D. Lee Building and the Central Branch was renamed the Joyce Whitfield Jaynes Branch.
1991 Purchased the Boy Scout Camp in the Upper Valley and renovated it as Camp YW. Received funding to begin a Transitional Living Center for homeless women and children.
1992 Camp YW served youth in summer camp. Began the Leadership Development Center at Whataburger’s office which also houses the Women’s Employment Program and extended Consumer Credit Counseling Services.
1993 The YWCA Transitional Living Center for Homeless Women and their Children began operations to provide a supportive housing program for as many as 40 women and children at a time.
1994 Began the “Children Cope With Divorce” program, a court mandated educational program designed to help divorcing parents focus on the needs of their children during this potentially traumatic period. Began the Women’s Benefit Luncheon with 800 attending, raising $100,000.
1995 Name changed to YWCA El Paso Del Norte Region.
1996 February 23, the El Paso Natural Gas Company presented the YWCA with the Hueco Club, a facility with a club house, 9 hole 3 par golf course, driving range, swimming pool, softball diamonds, volleyball, basketball and tennis courts and over 400 acres of undeveloped land.
1997 Camp YW was named in honor of Mary Ann Dodson. Membership exceeds 17,000. July 20 marked the opening of a pilot Wellness Program at the Shirley Leavell Branch.
1998 Began a Capital Campaign with a goal of nine million dollars to address building renovation, building additions and endowment.
2001 Dedicated the Independence House; Named the Child Development Center at the Viramontes Branch in honor of Marie Wise; Named the Transitional Living Center in honor of Sara McKnight. Completed renovation of the Lower Valley Branch.
2005 Completed 20-apartment addition to the Sara McKnight Transitional Living Center.
2007 Completed construction of 12 apartments in the Lower Valley for low income senior citizens.
2009 YWCA El Paso Del Norte Region celebrates 100 years.
2010 Launched the Be-Y Miracles Happen Capital Campaign